Fruit Picker Jobs and the Requirements to Acquire It
Fruit Picker Jobs
You may be wondering what fruit picker jobs are. If this is your first time coming across this word it is obvious that you may not know what it means and what such a person does for a living.
However, here in this article, we will discuss the meaning of fruit picking as well as who a fruit picker is, the requirements you need to fulfill in order to obtain this job position including every other important information you will find useful relating to this topic.
So without much further ado, let’s get started with what we have for today!
What Is Fruit Picking?
Fruit Picking simply means the act of picking fruit on a farm. This is typically done by a professional fruit picker and the process usually involves picking up fruits, checking for ripeness, and getting rid of over-ripened, and rotten fruits. Professionals who do these either make use of their hands during the activity or implement the use of machinery to fasten the process.
For some people, fruit picking is an ideal job type whereas others may see it as stressful and not worth it, however, that doesn’t change the fact that it is a great job option for anyone who chooses to work in the agricultural sector.
How Much Does a Fruit Picker Make?
Fruit picking is a lucrative job opportunity for those who are looking forward to working on a farm, but aside from being lucrative it also has a high earning potential which means you can earn lots of money from picking fruits of different types. An average fruit picker in Canada earns $28,061 per year or $14.39 per hour.
Fruit pickers may earn more money than some other professions, but this is not to say that there are no better high-paying jobs out there. In general, fruit pickers make so much money per year depending on their nationality and place of work as in some countries fruit pickers are paid higher than in other parts of the world.
Who Can Be a Fruit Picker?
Anyone can be a fruit picker as long as he or she is willing to accept the responsibilities that come with picking fruit. The activity of picking fruit is not an easy one so, anyone who wants to build a career around it should be ready, willing, and able to carry out assigned tasks, and obey commands as quickly as possible.
How to Apply for the Job of a Fruit Picker
Here is a step-by-step guide to follow if you want to apply for the job of a fruit picker:
- Perform research – First things first, you should carry out research on the available companies that grow fruits around you. Find out about their application process, and the basic requirements you need to fulfill to be accepted as a worker.
- Prepare your resume – Another thing you will need to do during the process of sending your application for the job of a fruit picker is to prepare your resume. Make sure all that is required of you is put in place to avoid rejections.
- Have prior knowledge about the job – It is advised that even before sending your application for the job of a fruit picker, it is best for you to have a sound knowledge about the job as most times the employers may ask you for references from past employers or acquaintances to verify your work history and character.
- Attend the job interview – Once you are done with providing all documents required of you, the employers may ask for your presence so as to check if you are a perfect fit for the job or not. It is your chief duty to prepare ahead of time you will be called for an interview as you never can tell at what time you will be needed.
Benefits of Working as a Fruit Picker
Here below are some of the interesting benefits you get to enjoy working as a fruit picker:
- Physical activity – Picking fruits is a physical activity that can be beneficial in several different ways as it can help one to build a healthy lifestyle and workout routine. In this case, you tend to work outdoors and for so many people this may be just the ideal kind of work they desire.
- Flexibility – Fruit picking unlike other jobs Is a seasonal job type that supports flexibility. In other words, you are not tied down with any job activity as it is seasonal and does not need your presence every single day of the year.
- Earnings – I think we talked about the earning potential of fruit picking and I believe that this can be one the best job options for most people who are looking forward to getting high-paying jobs. Mind you, fruit-picking jobs often pay in hours and can provide a steady income source for anyone who needs it.
- Interaction with nature: Fruit picking requires interaction with nature and can provide an opportunity to learn about the growth and harvesting of various fruits. This benefit can also lead to career advancement; hence increasing the tendency of you to get jobs in several different sectors and career paths.
Requirements Needed to Acquire the Job of a Fruit Picker
To become a fruit picker, the following requirements are generally expected:
- He or she must have the ability to perform manual labor, including bending, lifting, and carrying heavy loads.
- He or she must be at least 18 years or older, as some states require this for farm work.
- He or she must have a legal right to work in the country where the job is located.
- He or she must be available to work early mornings, long hours, weekends, and holidays during peak seasons.
- He or she must be able to communicate in basic English, as well as understand and follow instructions from supervisors.
- He or she must have the ability to identify and pick only ripe fruit and avoid picking fruit that is under-ripe or damaged.
- He or she must have the ability to work in varying weather conditions, such as hot sun or rain.
In conclusion, becoming a fruit picker requires a combination of physical ability, legal status, transportation, availability, communication skills, attention to detail, and adaptability. It is important to meet the basic requirements and be able to perform manual labor in varying weather conditions. To acquire this job, it is recommended to check with local farms for any open positions and to be prepared to work long hours, weekends, and holidays during peak seasons.
Furthermore, having reliable transportation and the ability to communicate in basic English can be a significant advantage. By demonstrating your ability to meet the requirements and perform the necessary tasks, you can increase your chances of acquiring a job as a fruit picker.